Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

PC Gaming - /pc/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Image Thumbnail

A thread for us to discuss half life Alyx as more info comes along. As someone who owns first generation VR (vive), I think it is the future of many genres of video games. I don't want to EVER play a first person RPG again unelss it is in VR. The sensation is fucking amazing, it is how games were meant to be played, inside the game, not looking at a flat screen. The immersion is just right. I played morrowind in VR, and entering a dungeon blew my mind even more so than when I originally saw the game back then. Its god tier atmosphere is enhanced 100x by VR. If you've used VR with modern graphics, whatever game someone coded simply for fun, it simply cannot compare to being into a world with heavy lore, music, atmosphere that tie everything into a perfectly crafted RPG. Morrowind graphics in VR has trumped any other VR experience with modern graphics VR is the future of most genres, no doubt about it in my mind. And I hope HL alyx rather than feel like a gimmick or a lite game, will be something amazing that will make VR grow exponentially.

>>

Valve called it a "flagship title". It's not going to be anywhere near a flagship. It's just going to be a little VR gimmick game. If you look at the background, it's just the same old Half-Life 2, and Alex is still the same old Alyx with the same clothes, so it's just going to be Half-Life 2 all over again - not even Episode 3.

>>

>>4900 >>4900 >if you look at the background I don't believe there is any official footage of the game yet. All Valve did was confirm a leak that the game will indeed be released. We'll be getting more information from Valve on it on November 21st

>>

Official Trailer https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo I have a feeling this is a game to test VR before they release half life 3. Though to make a game that plays well in both VR and no VR sounds challenging to make, so maybe not. I will definitely try it, AAA VR experience is something that hasn't been done much at all, let alone a big budget game made solely for VR. Especially if the game is not casual and is has interesting moments and gameplay like HL2. If long enough, this could be a really enjoyable game. Been meaning to try skyrim VR as well despite it being a casul game with a childish story, just to see what level they've taken VR to. But voice acting, the characters, everything in Alyx has a distinct poor man's half life feeling to it, so I do think this may be a proper test run for half life 3

>>

>>4901 Part 1/3 >I don't believe there is any official footage of the game yet. All Valve did was confirm a leak that the game will indeed be released. We'll be getting more information from Valve on it on November 21st No, that image was official footage. Alyx is going to take place between HL1 and HL2. We'll see early combine technology, if there is such a thing. I think this game is going to suck, for these reasons: - Remember the trailers for HL2, how they all looked amazing, and how they claimed that it wasn't one bit scripted, except that a hacker that leaked the showcase demos confirmed that Valve was lying shamelessly, and the game turned out to be very bland compared to the trailers. - Nobody fucking likes Alyx. She's as bland as they come. They tried to make the player relate to her, and they completely failed. Nobody cares. She comes across as some kind of emotionally stunted chimpanzee, except she's uglier. - Alyx will go to rescue her father "before they kill him", which feels extremely pointless, since we know that he dies anyway. The excitement that we're supposed to feel, is just a reminder to Valve's utter betrayal in not ever making Episode 3, and reminding us that this game might not even get an ending beyond another cliffhanger.

>>

Episode 2/3 - Just as episodic content wasn't the future of video games, VR is not the future of video games. It looks neat, but it requires the player to stumble around in real life, and get injured in the process. Few people will buy this, and Valve will once again take it as players not liking HL2 anymore, and just abandon HL2 again. - "I have a feeling this is a game to test VR before they release half life 3." HL3 will never happen. Apart from the fan project that's coming up, no official continuation will happen. The reason for this is that the story has been written into a corner: An advanced civilization that can defeat a planet in just seven HOURS, and has been conquering planets before this, can't be stopped. By now the writers have been sacked too. - The setting has been done. It wasn't all that great in HL2, but we liked it because it was new and different. ...but we're over the novelty of it now, and steampunk combine isn't exciting enough. - They're only interested in pushing their own VR hardware sales, and this will be a gimmick title to that end. It will probably be exclusive to just their rig. - Overall, Valve is giving us too little way too late. By now there's just so many video games and video game companies around that it's ridiculous, with way more popular titles. I know that you remember Half-Life, but the CURRENT generation doesn't. Valve would have to start from scratch. At this point this is like unearthing a pyramid, looking for entertainment. >I will definitely try it, AAA VR experience is something that hasn't been done much at all, let alone a big budget game made solely for VR. I certainly won't. I liked HL1 and HL2, but Valve hasn't even apologized for their betrayal. Fuck them. Fuck them like they slowly fucked me for twelve years, and profiting off it with Steam.

>>

Part Alyx, because you're not getting a part 3: >Especially if the game is not casual and is has interesting moments and gameplay like HL2. HL2 was casual, though. DSP beat it easily. Only the trailers of HL2 was any good and interesting. Don't believe the trailers. They're lies. All lies. >If long enough, this could be a really enjoyable game. Remember that HDR demo that they sold us? How long was that? Was it worth paying money for? Would it be worth buying a stupid VR rig for? >Been meaning to try skyrim VR as well despite it being a casul game with a childish story, just to see what level they've taken VR to. VR isn't worth buying. The game companies have enough problems trying to immerse us in their stories on a game mechanical level, and VR isn't going to compensate for that. Besides, what do you need a stronger drug for? You should be doing your house chores instead. >But voice acting, the characters, everything in Alyx has a distinct poor man's half life feeling to it, so I do think this may be a proper test run for half life 3 Well, have fun with that. I certainly won't be playing this. I doubt I'll even be playing anything HL3 related at this point. I don't care about Earth vs. The Combine anymore. I hardly ever did. I just have no reason to buy this game what-so-ever.

>>

...and let me repeat this in case you missed it: They've been slowly fucking us out of our money FOR TWELVE YEARS. If you buy this, you'll be called the local town whore, because then you have no self-respect, shame or dignity. To me that's just being a laughing stock.

>>

According to Geoff Keighley, the game is as long as Half-Life 2 is, which is pretty long. ...and if you buy a headset, the game is apparently included for free. Still not going to play it, though. Unless they give me Episode 3, I'm done with that shit. Valve had their chance.

>>

>>4909 true, a VR only game featuring alyx does not even begin to redeem valve's failure to count to 3 and to forfeiting their promises - I do think HL3 will eventually come. Not full VR but with support for it. If alyx at least has proper gameplay and a decent story, and does not feel like the garbage hipsters who chug on avenger's semen write nowadays, then at least there is hope. All game stories are somewhat juvenile and can't compare to great books, but at least they were meant for higher IQ people nonetheless before our hobby got hijacked by people who don't appreciate traditional gaming and roleplaying culture. Thank god for digital distribution, all AAA or valve games can fail and I still have access to amazing vidya

>>

>>4909 And really really glad to know that the game is as long as HL2. Especially for something new designed for VR. It means at least valve did not make a quick cash grab and really invested into making this a proper game experience

>>

>>4905 you are right to complain about them betraying you though. Don't know what gaben was thinking stopping all game development for so long

>>

>>4912 "Don't know what gaben was thinking stopping all game development for so long" He was thinking about the money. Steam is a much bigger source of income. ...but now they need people to buy their VR hardware, and so they dust off their old franchise for that purpose. For this reason, there isn't going to be any soul behind Half-Life Alyx. There's going to be a universe, but it's not going to be inspiring. It's just going to be the necromanced zombie of Half-Life 2, paraded around to show off cool VR features. The jarring jump between the HL1 and HL2 setting, shows how little Valve cares about their story. It goes from Gordon being a Die Hard survivor, to being worshipped as a messiah, and the only connect is that there's familiar characters shared between the two universes, that can be counted on one hand. ...so did Half-Life have a soul to begin with, beyond Laidlaw's source books? ...and how will the story fare now, when Laidlaw is gone? I therefore predict that HL:Alyx will be the last entry, ever, because after this game, we're going to be bored with the Half-Life universe.

>>

at least the game was confirmed to be the same length as HL2