/nsa/ - I need a program that actually wipes free
Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

This thread has been flagged as old and contains pop-up ads.
Replying will revoke its old status.

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Media deleted

I need a program that actually wipes free disk space because ccleaner claims it does but everything is still recoverable so i need something that actually works

>>

What do you expect from a shareware Windows imitation of an ages old Unix tool, this doesn't work with newer filesystems. Fill disk with random videos till full, delete them, repeat.

>>

>>3654 dereks book and nuke. only cleans entire drives as far as I'm aware, but it does it well.

>>
Media deleted

Try BleachBit, chum. It's opensource. http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download

>>

>>3661 Bleach bit is useless

>>

perhaps you could create a gigantic file of random data and keep copying it until you filled the free disk space..?

>>

>I need a program that actually wipes free disk space because ccleaner claims it does but everything is still recoverable so i need something that actually works How do you know this? Also, didn't they end up adding malware or ads to the program?

>>

nothing wipes a disc 100% clean even formating

>>

>>3666 I used disk drill and recovered over 250gigs of data No malware that was detected

>>

>>3667 Stop spreading FUD. Overwriting sectors with random data with multiple passes makes previous data unrecoverable.

>>

>>3671 Outlander is not 100% wrong. Drives which are younger than maybe 25 years automatically remap defective sectors, this is done by the on-board controller and the OS doesn't know anything about it. If you have bad luck the controller considers the sector with your secret data defective because it was difficult to read, copies the data to one of the spare sectors and remaps it. Bang, data stays on the disk forever because the remapped sector is out of reach for the OS

>>

>>3672 not if you do a full disk wipe? just because your OS can't see it doesn't mean it's not wiped when you format your disk

>>

>>3673 No, the remapped sector isn't accessible anymore. Of course it can still be addressed but it is actually another physical sector, one of the spare sectors reserved by the manufacturer for this purpose. The OS and any reformatting/wiping tool still sees 1-2-3-4-5-6.. but it is actually 1-2-3-remapped_spare_sector-5-6.. , the original sector 4 is inaccessible

>>

>>3656 boot and nuke*

>>

>>3685 >wipe free disk space not the whole drive

>>

>>3674 and that is the inherent problem with hdds, they are closed source chipset firmware, we don't know what they are really doing and how they map data. >>3654 look into forensic disk analysis and check how they analyse these defective sectors. then how to delete them

>>

dd if=/dev/zero of=zerofill.txt && rm zerofill.txt

>>

>>3707 dd exits with an error because No Space Left On Device, the conditional && won't run. Also you forgot to sync, a notable part won't even be written to the disk because it was still in the write cache cat /dev/zero >zerofile ; sync ; rm zerofile

>>

The age of secure hardware is taking too long to kickstart. Permadeletion of files should be a basic hard drive capability