/nsa/ - Hello this is /nsa/ admin I wanted to m
Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

This thread has been flagged as old and contains pop-up ads.
Replying will revoke its old status.

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Image Thumbnail

Hello this is /nsa/ admin I wanted to make this thread due to the voiced concern that the sticky is out of date (and it is) People can post in this thread any information that they think would be relevant or useful and I will consider it, then add it to the new sticky image. I will leave this thread up until the new year, anything decent that has been suggested since then I will introduce permanently to the sticky.

>>

i guess in the sticky's we can also include some text/link to help people as well - and update it as we need to i'll start by pitching some sentence and you can refine/use whatever you think it'll help For the braindead starters, the most basic and the first step is to disable and uninstall unauthorized tracking and telemetry on your current windows system and browser. Various youtube, google result can help with this step since it is not very hard (like learning about regedit, cmd, services &etc); if you're a heavy internet user - have a look at tor, proxy and vpn; as well as the policy of your frequent visited website and programs try to understand what is malware/adware and how they are automatically installed and included in your program/updates - look for alternatives and stop going with the crowd - think for yourself The second stage would be backing up and storing your digital hardware/software securely - if you do not have a HDD with some encryption program and a heavy crpto-password, it would be very easy to have unhappy accident if your gf/co-worker come across with your personal information/content that you wish to keep completely private Also, don't fear the use of dead-tree copy/paper; if you have problem remembering very important programs/sources/hard password - don't completely be reliant on computer to record it for you - use a damn pen (especially the young kids) - and don't ever be lazy; memorize your password YOURSELF out of ideas atm; but we need to include some background to help people understand why everything comes with windows OS/iOS - some background and quick info on BIOS/firmware and UEFI is essential i think also it would be good to start with just basic dig - since it can even help intermediate/advance users to refresh their memory and refine their own thoughts on how to keep themselves safe with more complex expression hope this help <|:D

>>

>>3345 that is an interesting perspective, I personally have a rather black and white view of safe usage, you can change your lifestyle bit by bit, but you are only really realistically safe if you follow /nsa suggestions completely. We usually have an answer that allows everyone to be satisfied as well :/ Regardless I will note your suggestion and try to implement it

>>

it takes awhile for people to learn how to use linux and bypass all the limitation; once we can ease them into it, and get them to start learning hard stuff; we can get them to follow all the suggestions (which requires too much background knowledge as a beginner) - most people would be confused about it and wonder why they're doing all this in the first place - we don't want anyone giving up too early since computers are here to stay as our most important utility tool; and we can't force people into a different lifestyle with a sticky; ought get them interested and think for themselves if they become good enough, they can expand the security knowledge to the other side of the coin via /baph/ - learning how to attack and gather information will also make them conscious about how susceptible their own position is

>>

>>3357 I guess we can suggest starter distros for beginners, depending on what OS they came from, but there is actually a set of pages dedicated on the ubuntu site to people swapping from windows/OSX respectively and it is very comprehensive. We could possibly add that, though I'm not sure if we could include the links in the image or just in another post in the sticky. what is /baph/? I assume it's a hacking board?

>>

>>3359 >what is /baph/? I assume it's a hacking board? A legion of 13 year old boys wreaking havoc on the internet, it's actually covert islamic terrorism, baphomet literally means muhammed.

>>

I heard MasterChanners support ISIL I'm not sure if it is true but that is what I heard. I wouldn't put it past you degenerates to try and convert

>>

>>3371 We support free speech. ISIL doesn't. I think the conflict of interest should be apparent..

>>

<<3359 /baph/ is just a group of guys that are good at digging and hotlinking any info a person puts out on the internet, and they're good at it; i think the average joe can learn a lot from how things are done by them and thereby learning a bit more about cyber security they do some work here and they're a bit controversial in a lot of the action they take

>>

Well CHUMS what have we got so far? a short text guide for intro? and a picture of all the necessary add-on/programs to be used? what else we need? linux distro guide? pastebin text/link to more information? hardware guide? crack guide? purchase guide?

>>
Media deleted

Just use GNU/Linux, not windows. And don't use vanilla Ubuntu. Use either different distro or some Ubuntu fork like Xubuntu. Don't use google chrome or any chromium based browsers. Use Firefox or rather some of its forks like PaleMoon or IceCat instead. Don't use Google search engine, but rather startpage or ixquick or duckduckgo hidden service. Sites like masterchan browse always through Tor and normal sites through a good VPN service. Always use https, not http. Never put your password to http only site. Don't use Skype or any shit like that. Use Tox and run it through a VPN or Tor too. Pick good privacy focused e-mail like Protonmail, but don't trust it either and always encrypt your mails with PGP. Unknown sites always visit with no-script and beware of phishing. Lurk technical discussions on various sites to stay updated on current situation.

>>

>>3341 going to leave this thread up longer as I want to get a few more ideas to add to the sticky.

>>

don't use linux OS that depends on functionality of other external coding starting a cycle of dependancy don't partition your hard disk for dual boot, have virtual boot for work OS instead if you're a pro, use something like scientific linux, a barebone version of linux if you're a newb and slowly make your own distro, if you like tracking shit and figure out i/o use something like kali

>>

>>3398 Can you recommend a good vpn?

>>

;)

>>
Media deleted

Hey bby, One image won't encompass a large amount of computer science and technical knowledge. So here's what I suggest: -Links to relevant information! -Links to current articles and places to subscribe for articles on computer science news! -Books that would help the inspiring technician or computer scientist in his studies! -A helpful, fun community that encourages discussion! These one topic threads are somewhat helpful, but I believe we need more threads on progress. It would really help to see novices talk to more experienced people and for everyone to share knowledge freely! -A thread DEDICATED to awakening gaddy-boy and annoying him to get rid of this captcha! -DO IT All I got now. I truly want you to prosper, so I look forward to responses~

>>

>>3341 >>3514 lets have a thread of 10 posts with images and link we need people to understand linux compatibility with hardware/architecture as well ayeeee lmao so the brainded babies can know what to buy and not waste any dosh m8

>>

>>3515 >ThinkPad X61, T61, T61p, X200, X200s, X200T, T400, T500, W500, W700 That's all you need to know as far as hardware compatibility goes. They run linux and BSD just fine.

>>

>>3517 >discounting the 1st and 2nd gen Core2Duo Also ibm made the best laptops ever, the few (t and x) series lenovo kept going are (only buy current expectations) still the best, but they really should try to stop becoming crap the last few years. Also, my T43 will never die, but I see my x everyday.

>>
Media deleted

vsat

>>
Media deleted

>>3765 old things

>>

>>3341 The points in the other sticky should still hold, personal security and privacy are things we should value, we should also keep information accurate.

>>

yo the sticky image is 403'd god knows how long its been

>>

im quite sure /nsa/ admin has abandoned us

>>

>>4054 >>4034 sorry it's been a while I'm working on a new one but it's going to be a while longer