/nsa/ - Anyone here got experience with whonix? I
Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

This thread has been flagged as old and contains pop-up ads.
Replying will revoke its old status.

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Media deleted

Anyone here got experience with whonix? I saw their website and I'm really fucking tempted to switch to it, especially due to the fact that I'm currently using ubuntu, it just doesn't feel secure enough

>>

>>3309 Ubuntu is fairly secure, but going that extra step is always advised. I hear whonix isn't to difficult to set up

>>
Media deleted

Yeah. I'm posting this from whonix. Whonix isn't something you "switch" to. You run it in a VM. >>3310 It's extremely easy to set up. They have a step-by-step guide with screenshots on their website. Just make sure to verify the images before installing them. It's pretty nice. I encourage you to install it, then transfer all the VM files to an encrypted volume. Preferably with plausible deniability if you're going to be using it for sketchy shit. BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOUR HOST IS SECURE. You can be running the most secure system in the world in your VM, but if your host is compromised it's meaningless. So you need to take certain precautions.

>>

>>3311 Also, it's recommended to use a VPN in conjunction with Tor. The easiest way to do this is to just install the VPN on your host. Use wireshark to make sure that your whonix tor traffic is going through the VPN (It should be by default, but there's no reason to not make sure)...

>>

>>3311 how the hell do you know your host is secure... >>3312 also what vpn, because obviously no freevpn.

>>
Image Thumbnail

>>3313 Well, sadly, you can obviously never be 100% certain that your system isn't compromised. What you can do is take basic precautions. If you want to go full Snowden mode, run Qubes as your host. It's incompatible with tons of hardware, though. Other than that, just run a good linux distribution, stick to FOSS, use a firewall, a good internet browser with all the required security/privacy plugins etc. Patrick (the Whonix dev) recommends Qubes, and if you can't/won't use that, then Debian. This is highly subjective though. Some recommend Arch, some recommend OpenBSD, some recommend hardened fucking Gentoo. Ideally you'd set up your own VPN. If you don't have the skills for that, Mullvad seems to be the preferred VPN provider among the /baphomet/ crowd. So far they haven't fucked any of their costumers over.

>>

>>3314 arch is no more secure ready than your basic ubuntu (besides the lack of software included)

>>

>>3314 setting up your own VPN would require owning two separate machines in different locations (unless you want to pay server host then you can't be sure it's secure anyway)

>>

>>3318 I just listed random distros off the top of my head. My point was that there'll never be any agreement on what distro to use. Do your own research and make up your own mind. >>3319 You can never be sure of anything. But setting up your own VPN affords you more control than just buying a subscription.

>>

>>3320 OpenBSD, hardened gentoo, whonix, etc are the usual /nsa choices

>>

anyone here using trisquel at all? or is it consider too "hardcore" and "lite"?

>>

>>3337 I used trisquel once, it's okay but if you are gonna go full GPL you may as well go parabola (I really love the arch based systems, their archive is amazing)

>>

It was made by a feminist. What do you expect?

>>

>>3381 People like you are human garbage. It doesn't fucking matter what political views the author has. It's irrelevant. All that matters is if the software is good or not. The guy behind it could be a horse fucking nazi nigger with AIDS, and if the software is good I'd still use it. If you refuse to use software because you disagree with the people behind it on politics you're everything that's wrong with technology. Whonix is a great tool. It's fucking brilliant.

>>

>>3384 And feminists don't make good software. Plus, they often dox anyone who happens to disagree with them. Rather huge problem for anyone concerned with privacy, like everyone on this board.