Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Image Thumbnail

Help me understand this NSA An exit node is a place that decrypts your TOR browsing data so you can go from TOR to the clearnet. Therefore, an exit node can spy on your whole communication: your passwords, what you are posting and so on. Basically, you should never use TOR to login to say facebook, because the exit node people could spy on your private communication. But say I use TOR for masterchan. I don't care if an exit node sees my anon ID, my posts and so on, because the information is not even private. What I do care about though is: does the exit node see my actual IP, or the TOR IP? Please enlighten us /nsa/, I could not find an answer to this on the internet

>>
>>

>>3067 I didn't find that link It wasn't very helpful though >the exit makes people who don't know to rout through a vpn at risk of disclosing their ip address. how exactly? There is so little discussion on this

>>

>>3066 almost everything you said was wrong. An exit node does no necessarily go to the open web, it can go to onion web hosts. Also the exit node does not know who has sent the data, so any opinion they have is wasted

>>

>>3070 do you have any source for that? Every source I have read so far mentioned that exit nodes are just to navigate away from the TOR network into the clearnet, and not that they are used when you are just hoping from .onion to .onion

>>

>Therefore, an exit node can spy on your whole communication: your passwords, what you are posting and so on. Basically, you should never use TOR to login to say facebook, because the exit node people could spy on your private communication. Kinda. If it's in HTTPS, then they still can't get it. However, if you committed a crime, the feds who commandeer this exit node could figure out that you logged into facebook, and then contact facebook to see what account was accessed through that IP. This counts on the exit node owner storing logs, which they're not supposed to do. >But say I use TOR for masterchan. I don't care if an exit node sees my anon ID, my posts and so on, because the information is not even private. What I do care about though is: does the exit node see my actual IP, or the TOR IP? No. The exit node sees the IP of the computer in the previous hop. the exit node IS the Tor IP. >>3068 That "Ryan Burr" guy is a moron. If the exit note could give your actual IP address to the website you're using, WHAT IS THE POINT OF TOR??? Andrew Lemke is spot-on however. The entry node is the only hop that gets your IP, and as far as I know, there is no way for it to pass traffic to the next hop and say "BTW, this is his IP, pass it along to the next guy". That would require it to modify the packets it is forwarding, which can't be done due to the encryption.

>>

>>3072 >The exit node sees the IP of the computer in the previous hop. the exit node IS the Tor IP. thank you anon And thanks for the rest of your explanation too, it gives me better ideas on how to continue reading on this topic now, what terms to search for. Anyway, I was mainly afraid that the exit node was 100% on a good samaritan basis, where whether they'd be a honeypot logging your real IP or not was totally up to them

>>

>>3078 no not at all, the whole concept of the routing done through the TOR software is through encryption. I can't remember the actual process ( I saw a little diagram once of how the encryption works) some like obscuration but either way you can be sure your IP isn't being passed along