Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Media deleted

Have you entered the Void, nsa?

>>
>>

>>2699 Tell us more about this please!

>>

>>2701 It's general purpouse GNU/Linux distribution. It uses runit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runit for initialization. It's systemd-agnostic. It has binary packages, but you can make new packages by compiling programs from source. It has basic dependency resolution, only those packages are installed that are absolutely necessary as dependencies. It's a rolling release distribution. It has a lot of modern, /g/-/tech/-/nsa/ related software in it's repos like Tox. Personally, it feels like Debian 2-3 editions before: you can make your system as minimalist or as bloated as you want and you can set things in easy configuration files. Sometimes you can get in to dependency troubles if you fuck something up, but you can fix them with some effort and you don't have to do full reinstalls. TL;DR a modern, sane, GNU/Linux distro that gives back the control in your hands (which also means you have the responsibility too though)

>>

>>2701 I downloaded it as a live cd and tried it on my old thinkpad x200t. Sadly none of the network controllers were useable :c

>>

OP here. I no longer recommend Void. Install Gentoo.

>>

>>2778 Why did you change your mind? Why is gentoo better? How long until you change your mind again?

>>

>>2779 I installed Gentoo because of the challenge. Now I can go around being smug and telling people to install Gentoo. ;-) Jokes aside, a source-based distribution like Gentoo can be way more tailored to one's own preferences than a binary one like Void. I like that I'm in complete control. Also, Gentoo has more packages available than Void. Some packages can only be added from overlays (imagine them as PPAs for Ubuntu) but it's easy to add overlays over your portage tree (imagine it as the main package repository for Ubuntu). Another reason for using Gentoo instead of Void is the almost BSD-level documentation and the superb forums. I haven't used their IRC (anxiety, etc.) but it is said that they are very friendly and helpful. Void has some OK guides, but they're outdated. The only thing I miss from Void is one program which I could build on Gentoo, but it would need a Google Developer Key. But this is the fault of Jewgle, not Gentoo. I still can't decide if I should try to create a Jewgle account just to get a developer key to be able to build that program... RMS was right, big companies (even those who in theory are pro open source) are locking in developers. [spoiler]It's Minitube btw. It got me really addicted to Youtube. I hope I spoiler the right way, I've forgot how to do it.[/spoiler] I hope I won't change my mind. I used to be a serious distro hopper. Now it feels like I'm home. >inb4 distro hoppers always say this Yes, I know... B-but Gentoo isn't even a distribution, it's a meta-distribution! One could even base it on the FreeBSD kernel! Anyway... Void isn't bad. It's good. But if you want to get even more control and performance, install Gentoo.