/nsa/ - How do you guys cope with the crushing dep
Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

Tutelary Technology - /nsa/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

This thread has been flagged as old and contains pop-up ads.
Replying will revoke its old status.

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Media deleted

How do you guys cope with the crushing depression of knowing that the tech world is so fucked up? At every level in any given stack of technology, there is a myriad of exploits and vulnerabilities, most of which can't be solved with a simple software patch. In desktops, this manifests in overly complex ISAs with hidden instructions, encrypted microcode hiding unknowable subroutines, vPro and co's always-on backdoor, undocumented firmware waiting to be maliciously reflashed, overly large kernels brimming with bad drivers, OpenSSL-esq libraries for written for 'security', ancient protocols endlessly repurposed into situations where they barely cope if at all, software so intelligent it makes the choices you don't want, compilers compiled from compilers compiled from compilers just asking for a Thompson hack and operating systems so muddled, you can get root access in a line of code. That's just one computer, and it's not an exhaustive list. The internet is barely holding itself together, and really would be better collapsed at this point. Tor is barely treading water, and will always face fundamental physical limits to anonymity and latency. Same with i2p. GSM is laughably easy to attack, and phones are pitch black boxes. Your smartcars are trivially hacked, and likely so are the airplanes that keep crashing. Your bank is probably the most secure technology you're associated with. Great feeling, that. And the real kicker? You can't escape it, even if you threw all your tech away, tech will always surround you, from security cameras with facial recognition and gait tracking, to casual use of drones, to increasingly powerful satellites. And even if you lived in the woods, one stuxnet gone wrong, and you have a nuclear holocaust to enjoy. Did I tell you about how CMEs can easily fuck us up if they so much as look at us? These aren't 1 in 2 million year chances, like a local supernova. These are things that can happen any moment. How the hell do you guys cope?

>>

No fucks given.

>>
Media deleted

>>2577 I honestly am starting to think that's the best way. If the house you're in is locked and on fire, what's the point of panicking over your inevitable demise? Just sit back, relax, and have a smoke for irony's sake.

>>
Media deleted

>>2578 Or you can just go outside. Which you should do more often to begin with..

>>

>>2579 Why should anyone go outside? Eventually the internet will not be just a subsystem to support the real world but a realm equal or greater than reality

>>
Image Thumbnail

>>2580 Such an idea leaves me at loss for words.

>>
Media deleted

>>2576 It will get better. The internet just got mainstream 3-5 years ago, and the governments have been made huge advancements to control, restrain and monitor it. People are responding to that. Those that laughed at Linux neckbeards are now realizing they need to migrate to it, instead of using windows 10 that not only spies on them, may report criminal activities and prevent pirated software from being used. It will get better, much better anon. At least on the software/hardware level. When it comes to the internet, it looks like we are losing freedoms, not gaining them.

>>
Media deleted

>>2582 And so you cope using the small hope that the slow, ponderous movements of the unwashed masses will lead to a better future. How can you do that? To live on something as fleeting and pitiful as hope honestly perplexes me. Surely there's more you're doing to console yourself, to right the wrongs of this situation? Time does not hand you free lunch on a silver platter just for waiting patiently. There is always effort involved, and often not nearly enough.

>>
Media deleted

>>2580 >>2581 I've heard futurists and experts in the field of AI believe that this century, likely around 2040-2060 we will develop an intelligence that will be superior to that of any human being, and once the revolution gets going and if everything goes well, we will be able to ascend by uploading our brains/consciousness to computers. We will be immortal, and every problem we have today might turn out to have had an obvious solution all along. It's possible we won't interact with the real world in our real bodies, or even in any kind of robot with sensors. And maybe we will have to be even more careful against the threats OP fears now, or maybe fights and disagreements will be just a thing of the past. Or maybe it will all go wrong and we will die along with every species in the planet. Maybe I'm not as worried to the extent OP is, but nevertheless I try to enjoy life. Whatever happens in the future we should enjoy our experiences now, be it kissing someone or smelling dirt. It may be the last time we get to experience these things as they are.

>>

>>2584 It's not just hope. When it comes to hardware, we can do anything we want. It only takes one person producing something with privacy and quality to save us all. It is doable. The internet belongs to governments and private corporations. Once we have meshnets however..

>>
Image Thumbnail

>>2576 ذو العقل يشقى فى النعيم بعقله . . وأخو الجهالة فى الشقاوة ينعم

>>

>>2585 There's a lot more to this discussion than anon wrote. If anyone actually wants to know something about AI, I suggest this very interesting article: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

>>

>>2576 I cope with it by ignoring it a s good as I can. Most people don't care, and never will care. I try to get them going as subtle as possible, for example I wrote a chain message to all my contacts about stagefright and what they can do about it. In the end, we are powerless, though. So why not just enjoy it as long as it's still possible? This might be easier for me than for you, though, as I think like that in every aspect in my life. For example, when I buy a cheap 20 € Sweatshirt, I ironically tell myself that someone has to buy the stuff made with child labour, or they wouldn't have a job, so I am supporting 3rd world children in need. As Zeno, a greek philosopher you should definetly read about, said, one should only concern oneself with how you act. What happens around you is beyond your control, so you shouldn't let it affect you. I'd also suggest reading some dystopian literature from the 20th century, like Brave New World. It gives you a new outlook on todays world.

>>

>>2658 That anon again. But fuck, it's so hard. I can rationalize it as much as I want, but when I read about possible exploits, or all the information that is probably takin by me right now... There's nothing you can do about that deep feeling sinking into your breast. You just know that you're fucked, and nothing you do is secure anymore. It makes me scared. It makes me angry. But most of all, it makes me feel powerless, which is probably the worst of all. But at least there is one thing you can do about it; not bend in. Continue writing on masterchan and torchan. Continue sending dickpics and making racist jokes. Don't let it affect the way you express yourself, as long as you don't censor yourself for them, their goal is not fulfilled. And on the other side, that feeling is somewhat empowering. Knowing that everything that you say and truly mean, or just making an inappropiate joke, is the most effective tactic against the Oligarch's surveilance. It gives everything I do this weight, this power, which gives me the ability to go on. Just be, anon. Send some dickpics to your friends over whatsapp. It will make you feel better.

>>

>>2663 *taken from me **feeling sinking into your chest ***nothing you do is private anymore ****makes me feel sacred ****²makes me feel angry *****the worst of itall ******not bend over *******surveillance I seriously should have read my post before submitting it.

>>

>>2664 you could have deleted it and post it again m8. the time limit is 15 minutes now.

>>

You cope by harnessing the vulnerabilities you mentioned.

>>

>>2663 overchan > torchan http://lyp6sf5tzd6mbnmc.onion/

>>

You think if you get rid of your physical electronics youll be a ghost? Lulz. Boys all the drama of the world for the last few decades has all been a distraction, seriously kids, why dont you look at some of snowdens leaked docs. You all keep talking about privacy this, linux that, vpn this, tor, NSA has the books on all that. Smart phones, etc. They have quantum computers, but thats been known for years, although i would like to see one of you make a 3 qubit system. Instead of chips and silicon, they store data on electrons, photons, atom nuclei, etc, i mean come on thats some alien shit!! We need quantum computers for crypto security. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

>>

>>2844 Also **apply whiteout here** NEWS Special report on MKUltra by remote control, artificial telepathy and advanced neural interfaces compatible with JADE 2 artificial intelligence. No need for FEMA camps when everyone becomes a network node to be monitored and controlled by external “brain-hacking” with no need for barbed wire. You will be amazed at what these aliens can do. Patented technologies reveal the psychopaths are pushing for global governance using a wireless, neural network to Master the Human Domain. This report outlines tested and patented mind-control and potential MKUltra procedures ready to be integrated with artificial intelligence programs like JADE 2. Research: Remote Neural Monitoring Oregon State Hospital Caravan to Midnight Guest “DJ” NSA Whistleblower Russell Tice and the disclosure of Remote Neural Monitoring (PDF) President’s Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues letter to respondent 07.27.2011 Patent # 003951134 Distant Brain Reading & Brain Wave Manipulation 4.10.1976 Patent # 6011991 Communication system and method including brain wave analysis and/or use of brain activity 01.04.2000 Patent # 6470214 USAF RF Hearing Effect for skull/tissue penetrating sound Patent # 6587729 Similar to Patent # 6470214

>>

>>2845 DJ seems to think that quantum computers are the end of all encryption, this is not true. Their introduction is however troubling.